Tag Archives: natural colour
Some of the blueberry dyed cotton shirts after washing. It was hard to get a really good shot of the colour. Definitely much more blue then red purple. But I think that’s because I washed them in the machine and town water is full of chlorine. The red purple probably would have stayed if I had washed it in distilled water.
I’m really excited to start a new dyeing project with cotton.
I started this afternoon, but, of course, forgot to take pictures while working.
I’ll have to remember to take some tomorrow when there’s good natural light. Oh and we saw a snow goose today. So exciting! That’s bird #126.
The colour wasn’t quite as strong as I would have liked so I soaked it overnight in the dye bath. I wasn’t sure if this would wreck the prints at all.
Fortunately when I pulled it out the next morning everything was still quite clear.
Amazingly enough the ferns, that I thought had disappointed me by not printing, showed up after the soak.
Leaving it to hang where there was indirect sunlight also might have helped.
The colours shift and morph with the light.
It’s beautiful to watch.
I wanted a little more colour with this piece so I added 2 frozen purple irises and a whack load of dried oregano to the already murky iron bath from the last silk bundle boil.
I love how the string stripes the outer edge of the fabric.
Coral Bell’s leaf print.
Wild Rose, Purple Smokebush, Faint Coral Bell’s and the greeny one I think was a Purple Sandcherry leaf. Funny that it went green and not purpley. I have no idea why but it’s pretty cool!
So far I’ve been steaming all of my eco bundles.
But then the wonderful Monika of Red2White suggested boiling them to actually get proper leaf prints.
I was a little sceptical of boiling to start with because when I was dyeing with the different flowers I didn’t want to get muddled brown. I wanted distinct colour impressions.
But for leaf prints, I realized, I wanted the shape and texture not really the colour so much so it didn’t matter if it got muddled.
I had pressed some leaves and gathered fresh ones and laid them out on a 2 yard piece of flat crepe that I had.
There was a wonderful dark, left over, liquid from previous steamings in the dye pot. I topped this up with water and boiled some big rusty bits in it for a while and then took all but one out.
The crepe was bundled and wrapped tight with string and then popped into the murky muddle for about 3 1/2 – 4 hours. I don’t remember exactly.
It turned out wonderfully!
Close up of maple leaf
Close up of rose leaves and smoke bush leaves